01 October 2006

Firearms and Wheelchairs

As some of you may or may not know, I work part-time with a home health care agency, taking care of a 47-year-old paraplegic. So, you can see how this article that I came across in the Pennsylvania Game News caught my attention.

My client has often talked about getting a .22 revolver some time soon. We found one at Granite View Sports several months ago, but so far, he's taken no steps towards getting it.

Recently, I read a story about an older woman confined to a wheelchair who warded off a would-be purse snatcher with a gun she carried on her wheelchair, and this story had me thinking lately about whether or not my client would be interested in doing some plinking every now and then.

Then I come across the article in PA Game News about a sportsman's organization that allows the disabled to participate in hunts. I haven't read the article all the way through, but I found it fascinating how they arranged it all.

I mentioned the article to my client's father, who had read something in the Fairbanks paper about something very similar. So, I Googled the article.

I found it here: "Realizing a Dream."

Hoskins, a Vietnam veteran from Pennsylvania, is one of three wheelchair-bound hunters from the Paralyzed Veterans of America taking part in a special moose hunt on the Chena Flood Control Project in North Pole. Through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the PVA has offered its members–about 30,000 strong–a chance to go moose hunting in Alaska each of the last four years.

Hunters are selected by random drawing from a pool that has grown to about 2,000 applicants over the last four years, said Doug Warren, program director for the PVA. Winners must pay their own way to Alaska and buy their own license and tags.

Not bad for News-Miner reporting, I might add.

Even disabled, citizens are citizens, and RKBA and related activities should not be off-limits to them.

No comments: